Sunday, October 30, 2011

Wizard of Oz


This entire week I have been reliving Wicked the musical and listening to the soundtrack. Because of this I decided to rewatch the 1939 Wizard of Oz staring Judy Garland. Like the first time I watched it, I loved it. But there's always a difference when watching a movie when you're older...over the years there have been rumors and stories about a munchkin who committed suicide while the movie was being filmed. And so when I rewatched the movie, I kept an eye out for this scene:


Yes, its creepy, you can see the body sway in the background, but this myth was debunked


Something else I was thinking about while watching the movie was - how many munchkins were there??? According to Answers.com. there 124 adults and 12 children who played munchkins in the movie. Most of these munchkins came from the Singer Midgets.

There was actually an article I read back in September announcing the upcoming December auction for Dorothy's Ruby Slippers! "We're guessing that the Wizard of Oz himself may not have enough dough to bid on Dorothy's infamous ruby slippers. This December, the one-and-only red glitter shoes from 1939's The Wizard of Oz will go up for auction. (Not to be confused with Miu Miu glitter booties, but those may cost you a pretty penny, as well.) Believed to have been worn by Judy Garland herself, the shoes are up for grabs as of December 16, as part of a Hollywood Memorabilia sale. The pair was found by a costume-department worker on the MGM lot in the early 1970's, and in primo-vintage condition to boot. You might need more than a Christmas bonus to afford this piece of cinematic fashion history, as they are expected to fetch between $2 and $3 million. No, you're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy. " Refinery29

rub slippers

Something else I stumbled upon when I was looking for the myth video was this cute dog interpretation of the movie!!! Must watch - super adorbs!!



Anyways, although I love this movie, I loved the musical Wicked 10x more. It is a must see and is actually in LA this season. One day, I will see it again and actually purchase a recording of the show!!

Defying Gravity Tony Awards